Wednesday, March 28, 2007

TayVay Jumps The Shark

I don't believe in jumping the shark. That's not to say I don't think series decline - oh how they decline - but that there's not a single moment or episode where you can say "from here on out, suckage". Television doesn't go bad in the sense that, say, a ham would go bad. With TV, there's usually some change (lose a showrunner, a producer gets distracted, Ted McGinley gets hired) that causes things to go downhill. Ham don't work that way.

Alas, BSG has let me down. Despite its strong run as "the best show on television", Sunday's season finale was a clear message that it's all downhill from here. The acting will still be great, the actual dialogue will continue it's impressive run of awesome, but the story is going to wind down.

The revelation that "The Resistance" - the 3 people most responsible for antagonizing Cylons on New Caprica - were actually Cylons was so hackneyed, so poorly planned and executed, it's hard to see how they could go anywhere interesting with "The Plan". Just making someone a Cylon for shock value isn't witty, it's mean.

But what really grinds my gears is this interview with show creator Ron Moore after the finale. I really, truly held out hope that the 3 weren't actually cylons but had been manipulated somehow, like maybe Max Headroom was there all along. Anything but Cylons. But no, they're the real deal. Only they're not, because they're the part of the Final Five, so they "play by different rules". Ooooo, like what? No backsies? They've all had their cootie shots? Funk that.

They spend all this time creating a mythology, making you think there's something more than just than the old Humans v. Cylon paradigm (for instance, the temple of Jupiter that was built millennia before Cylons existed.) And then they screw it up by picking three random characters and turning them into the most powerful of all the Cylons.

And check the interview - this is something they "came up with" in the middle of the season. Look bub, the beginning of the show says in big white letters "They have a plan." That means you're supposed to have plan for their plan. You don't get to make it all up as you go along - that's like taking the mythology of the X-files and letting The Lone Gunmen run the show.

And yes, Starbuck is back. We don't yet know if she's a figment of Lee's imagination (think Six/Baltar), but odds are she isn't. God, if she's the final Cylon I'm going to crap myself. Can't you bring in someone? Or make it someone silly, like Lt. Gaeta (whom I've always suspected, btw). There needs to be some bind between the humans and Cylons other than "skinjobs" and betrayal and living amongst us, etc. For godssake, it's too much of a tease to construct all the amazing characters and have the series devolve into "well, they're cylons. How unexpected and deep."

Maybe I'll feel better when the show comes back in 2008, but I wouldn't count on it. BSG, congrats on actually jumping the shark. I didn't think it was possible.

4 comments:

JC! said...

I disagree: I think "jump the shark" moments exist, but they're usually not in themselves the prime movers of sucking. Usually they're plot developments or cast changes that coincide with a new season or a re-tooling, and co-occur with a decline in quality.

For example, Monk didn't get shitty BECAUSE Bitty Schram left and got replaced by Traylor Howard, but it did get shitty at the same time as that cast change.

Dave said...

I suppose I can see shark jumping as a function of casts. But frequently I need to see the whole arc of the series. For instance, I thought Law & Order jumped the shark after they killed Jill Hennessey, but they recovered.

And clearly, West Wing JTSed when Sorkin left - no one disputes this. But I wouldn't consider the shark jumping in this case to be caused by the plots, just the loss of the showrunner.

It would appear that in general, people cause shark jumping, not stories, per se. But BSG definitely challenges this theory - no one left, and now it's gonna suck.

JC! said...

Maybe people leave because they see the waterskis approaching the shark in the advance scripts. And in the case of BSG, the cast knows that they shouldn't leave, because sci-fi TV= guaranteed convention income but NO OTHER WORK after the show.

Dave said...

I suppose it's possible, but I'm a little skeptical. I mean, while people do get advance scripts, they don't get them until after they sign their contract (I assume - I mean that would just be dumb). I suppose some people decide "there's no way they're going to top this, I'm out of here" and that could lead to an exodus.

But regarding BSG, I can't agree. Edward James Olmos and Mary Mcdonnell don't need to worry about getting work. And we all learned from Denise Crosby that there's a market for leaving a sci-fi show, spurning sci-fi conventions, and then making documentaries about said conventions. I don't see why there's not a similar career path for Katee Sackhoff (Or Grace Park, rowr).